Tuesday 15 September 2015

Killing the Scorpion

The title of this post is not a joke; I killed a scorpion in my room this morning. I noticed something crawling on the ground next to my bed, and when I approached it, I immediately grabbed the nearest shoe and killed it. What did I do next? I turned on Florence & the Machine and had a dance party in my room, and went about my morning routine as planned. Events such as this have become normal, and it is the little things that matter anymore. The motto of my Oshikwanyama group here in Omusheshe is "little victories and big rewards." It is entirely appropriate for all facets of life. 

On September 6th, I arrived in my new village for the next four weeks; Omusheshe is a village located in the north of Namibia in the Oshana region. I am living with a host family that consists of two parents (Martha and Erastus), two older sisters named Pombili and Tuhafeni, a younger girl named Lucia (she is in grade 10 at the school where I teach), and five young kiddos (Sion, Mathias, Levi, Martha, and Agnes.) They are so kind, patient, understanding, and have welcomed me into their home with open arms and unconditional love. 

The homestead is an ephemeral beauty, for the desert sand provides a flat surface on which various trees, bushes, and cacti grow freely. Several cement block housing compounds decorated with electricity (one of which I am in) are surrounded by traditional huts, each of which has a specific purpose. The dirt road to the front of the homestead has a patch of vibrant trees with multicolored leaves both on the branches and littered on the ground; my front yard is a picturesque autumn scene. Did I mention we have chickens, goats, pigs, a dog, kitty, and now a new puppy? The sun rises vibrantly and sets peacefully; the stars accompany me to sleep. 

I am beginning to get a taste of my new style of living, and to be honest, I could not be more excited. On a normal Sunday in America, I would be doing a variety of things; patronizing coffee shops, exercising, pursing outdoor activities, going to a friends house…but would I just be sitting around with the extended family, enjoying one another’s company? Would I be napping under the tree on a blanket in the sand? Would I be listening to children’s views on the quality on education in the country and what they think would improve the system? I wonder how many more sentences will I start with, “Back home…” until I internalize that this is my home now.

I have been at Omusheshe Combined School for a week now, and it is an understatement to say I have learned a lot. The first week was nothing short of an emotional roller coaster, however I am adjusting quite well (if I do say so myself.) I had a brief moment early last week when I wanted to quit, I won't lie. But this moment passed after some deep introspection followed by reaching out to some of my fellow volunteers. Here's the deal: I am someone who tries even though I am bound to fail (just like Atticus Finch!) When one stops fearing failure, they can truly succeed. I will give everything my 100% and keep trying even after I fail, and fail, and fail some more. Something has to give eventually, however, it is essential to listen and to be kind to oneself. To be kind to your learners. Somebody has to try, and somebody has to believe. If not you, then who? If not now, then when? 


Currently Listening:
Cows, roosters, and goats outside of my window.
Sza
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Notorious B.I.G
Keziah Jones
Florence & The Machine
Chance the Rapper
Girl Talk
Beta Band

4 comments:

  1. This is so inspring...give me a boost to not give up and take charge of my emotions..to be kind to me is important so I can be kind to others ...god bless !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Poonam aunty, KolKata, India , "Yes read her Blog now. ..truly Inspiring. .one has to be Stong n kind simultaneously to fullfill ones dream. .#ProudOfNeti #Touchwood"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing neti! All sad moments do pass. Witout em we wouldnt have contrast to what's good =) I look forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing neti! All sad moments do pass. Witout em we wouldnt have contrast to what's good =) I look forward to your next post

    ReplyDelete